5 easy steps to a healthy mouth!
- Brush your teeth twice a day to remove dental plaque. Use a soft bristled toothbrush with a small head, and fluoride toothpaste. Brush gently, placing the bristle at the gum line at 45 degrees angle.
- Floss your teeth once a day. If you find flossing difficult, there are alternative devices such as interproximal brushes and sticks to reach in between the teeth. Consult your dentist to find the best method for you.
- Drink plenty of water (2-3 litres per day). This is required for adequate production of saliva which is the body’s natural defence against acid attacks on teeth. Chewing sugar free gum after meals will also increase saliva production when it’s needed the most.
- Eat healthy well-balanced meals. Limit consumption of acidic and/or sugary snacks in between meals to limit the amount of times plaque produces acid, which can cause tooth decay and erosion.
- Visit your dentist regularly for dental examinations for early detection of potential problems. Most dental conditions are symptomless in their early stages. Receive professional preventive care and learn about home care that best suits you.