Protect your smile this Christmas!!
Christmas is just around the corner and most of us have already begun celebrating the festive season with work functions, family gatherings and various social events. It is not hard during this time of the year to over indulge in cake, chocolate, cocktails and other goodies. Some of us may feel slight guilt about how this may affect our general health and waistline, but how many people really give a second thought to how this may affect our dental health?
Sugary and acidic foods and drinks are risk factors to tooth decay and dental erosion. Both conditions may have long lasting detriment to your over dental health, which left untreated may lead to tooth loss. How can we minimise the damage to our teeth during this festive season? Here are some tips:
- Brush twice a day and floss at least once a day even with your busy schedule. Keep up with your healthy routine!
- Drink plenty of water. Particularly at parties where you may be consuming sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
- Rinse your mouth out regularly with water. Water helps to clear some of these nasties off your teeth.
- Chew sugar free gum to help stimulate your saliva flow after meals. Saliva helps protect your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth at night with a fluoride mouthwash, or even bicarbonate soda for some extra help.
- Have your teeth examined and cleaned by your dentist if you have not had one in the last 6 months.
Smile and be well!