If you think about it, smiling is a universal language. Before a person speaks a word, they can communicate a sense of friendly openness with anyone they meet by simply showing off their pearly whites. Studies show that most Australians agree.
Orthodontics surveys show that six out of ten Australians view an excellent smile as synonymous with higher confidence levels. Additionally, almost half of the people surveyed would change the appearance of their teeth if given the opportunity. So it seems that most of us in Australia would smile more if we felt better about how our smiles look.
How Clear Aligners like Invisalign’s Improve Life in Highgate Hill, QLD
At Be Well Dental, we understand that straightened teeth can offer immense benefits for your mental health. But we also can appreciate that a straighter smile is a healthier smile. For example, aligned teeth are easier to keep clean and offer fewer trouble areas where plaque-causing bacteria may congregate.
Straighter also exert less pressure on their neighbours, distributing your bite force evenly. This is because your teeth work best as a team, like links in a chain. Each tooth does a particular job but relies on surrounding teeth for combined strength and support. So when you have minor misalignments, it makes the most sense to straighten your smile because the long-term benefits outweigh the costs.
What Makes Invisalign Different Compared to Metal Braces
Clear aligners represent a fundamental shift in orthodontic treatments. Though both choices mechanically shift teeth positions, traditional braces perform that work through metal brackets cemented to teeth surfaces and connected by wires and bands. Your orthodontist manipulates these parts to reposition your teeth.
On the other hand, invisible braces work through a series of BPA-free plastic aligner trays. These trays are crafted based on precise scans of your teeth so that they can progressively but gently shift crooked or crowded teeth into a newly designed position.
This new approach offers numerous advantages over the traditional option, among them being:
- Removability – Though you wear your aligner for 22 hours each day, you can remove them to eat, brush, and floss.
- Comfort – The polymer material and tight fit provide more comfort than metal brackets and wires, especially when your soft cheeks and gum tissues encounter them.
- Fewer dentist visits – Invisalign follow-up and maintenance visits can be six months apart because we don’t have to tighten and adjust wires, which is commonly required each month with conventional braces.
Another difference between traditional braces and clear aligners that concerns most people is how much they will like the final results. In this respect, emerging research compiled in 2018 confirms that clear aligners are a viable alternative to conventional orthodontic therapy for targeted conditions.
Invisalign also reports a 96 per cent satisfaction rate, showing that the special training and tools used by Invisalign dentists achieved what patients expected when their clear aligner therapy began.
Invisalign Planning Is an Essential Step
The Be Well Dental team will assess your particular smile goals and tooth alignment issues using leading-edge imagery and computer-aided design so that we can ensure you’ll be excited about your new smile. Our goal is that you become part of that 96% who are happy that they underwent Invisalign therapy.
During your first appointment with our Highgate Hill dentists, we use our digital x-rays and other images to create a digital impression. We then use these impressions to design a 3-D image of your smile that will be used when they make your personalised aligner trays.
The process is relatively simple. You start with your first tray and wear it around 22 hours per day for roughly two weeks. Then, you’ll move on to the next tray in the series and continue through the length of your treatment. You will also follow our instructions for maintaining your trays, rinsing, and soaking them, so they remain crystal clear.
Bite Issues Invisalign Can Correct
The following issues with your teeth alignment are correctable with clear aligners.
- Underbite – when your upper front teeth overlap your lower teeth
- Overbite – the opposite of an overbite, where your lower teeth protrude in front of your upper front teeth
- Crossbite – caused by jaw misalignment where some teeth overlap while others slip behind
- Openbite – when you close your mouth, your upper and lower teeth don’t touch
Other Conditions Fixed by Clear Aligners
- Gaps between teeth – Invisalign effectively eliminates unsightly gaps, especially in your front-facing teeth.
- Crowded teeth – If your jaw is too narrow to accommodate all your teeth, they may twist or rotate to fit.
- Minor misalignments – Many combinations of the above conditions can be fixed through clear aligner therapy.
Invisalign Extras to Improve Effectiveness
As the research above suggests, clear aligner therapy is highly effective with certain conditions. However, to increase and extend that effectiveness, many Invisalign dentists will take advantage of new additions, which Invisalign calls SmartForce® Attachments.
These additions are composed of small tooth-coloured ‘button-like’ pieces that we attach to your teeth which target specific pressure points on your aligner, adding movement where more is required.
Invisalign Clear Aligner Therapy in Highgate Hill, QLD
If Invisalign sounds like the orthodontic solution for your alignment issues, let us know. We are always happy to discuss options, answer questions, or provide more information.